Friday, May 9, 2014

b(l)ogged down



Where has the time gone? We are already in the second week of May, and I haven't blogged one word! I haven't even published my new pattern yet. Shame on me! I am b(l)ogged down with life. Yes, LIFE! The spring and summer months are really busy for us which leaves little time for blogging and sewing. Somewhere, I have to make a compromise...so, I have chosen to sew more and blog less. I will still (try) to post a helpful piece on organizing your sewing room and show what I have sewn throughout the month, but simply less blogging.

This is my Atarashii Block for my Quilting Bee. We are all making a sampler for our 20th anniversary as a group. Many of us are presenting a block or technique that will be set into the quilt.

I am a little undecided about this technique. I like to find shortcuts and make the work simpler. Since I already worked on the cathedral window pillowcase earlier this year, I find this technique a little fiddly and time consuming. Yes, I critisized.

On the day this block was presented in at our quilting bee, I took along other fabrics - the ones not being used for the sampler. I just wanted to try out the technique and wasn't sure if I was going to put it in my sampler. Sometimes, I am too controlling. This was a good decision, because it uses a lot of fabric. I wasn't really happy with the result, so my friend Katrin lent me her book from Atarashii where I found this kaleidoscope block. It is not as bright as I would have liked, but it is still in line with the technique and fabrics for my quilting bee sampler. I hand-sewed the circle flaps down. "Wenn schon, denn schon."

I have been working mostly on my "Cattinkas Hasenbach Challenge" blocks for Claudia Hasenbach's Apfelernte. I am making good progress and and very pleased with the results. There will be a lot of red thrown in for the next blocks which will change the look of the wall hanging. I am also playing with the idea of a new layout for the blocks. This will be a fun one for some appliqué stitching.



For the Block Lotto, I managed to mail off the old and finish some new blocks. These went rather quickly. We were supposed to use true blue, and this was the truest I could get from my stash. I really need more fabric. If you would like to send some, I would be happy to receive. ;-)


I also reworked some Mod/Mod blocks and added a few new ones! I also really enjoyed working on these blocks, because of the fabric. My color palette that I really enjoy working in for the last couple of years is this torquoise/orange/yellow/white (and sometimes gray) palette. In reminds me of springtime and warms me up. I still like my fall colors, don't get me wrong.


A note about the chevron block: the first time, I made it too small because my 1/4 inch seam allowance was too genreous. The second time, it was slightly too skimpy. I think I will always have this problem if I have lots of smaller block units to make a larger block.

I also joined up to the Jump Start! EQ7 SAL. Maybe I can can improve my EQ7 skills.You are never too old to learn. 

I will also be taking a class this month to improve my quilting. I just now have gotten comfortable with the idea of FMQ - free motion quilting. It is time to take it to the next level - just doing it.

You can always find my latest blocks and quilt on flickr.

Thank you so much for leaving comments. I really love to read what you have to say - whether good or bad, helpful or critical. ;-) Enjoy your day!

1 comment:

  1. Hallo Karen,
    ich würde hier nie etwas schlechtes sagen, wie Du nur darauf kommst. Du hast wunderschöne Blöcke gemacht, der Atarashi Block ist Dir sehr gut gelungen, Du arbeitest ja auch sehr korrekt! Deine Rundungen sind perfekt. Die Farben die Du für die Mod Blöcke verwendest gefallen mir auch gut, sie sind richtig frisch! Und ich bin neugierig - was machst Du denn für einen Kurs?
    LG
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for dropping by and leaving comments! You really make my day! - Karen

Notice:
If you comment on my blog, your personal data such as IP-Address will be collected by Google. Find more information about this on my General Data Protection Page:

https://easypatchwork.blogspot.de/p/datenschutz.htm or that from Google.
___________________________

Hinweis:
Wenn du auf meinem Blog kommentierst, werden die von dir eingegebenen Formulardaten (und unter Umständen auch weitere personenbezogene Daten, wie z. B. deine IP-Adresse) an Google-Server übermittelt. Mehr Infos dazu findest du in meiner Datenschutzerklärung (https://easypatchwork.blogspot.de/p/datenschutz.html) und in der Datenschutzerklärung von Google.