Sunday, October 27, 2019

enchanted sal - daphne

Hi everyone. Thanks for joining us on another edition of the Enchanted Sew Along. This is our fourth week in and we have a very beautiful an enchanting fairy for your this week.


If you just started joining us, I will tell you a little bit about the sew along. Each week a new figure will be highlighted from the Enchanted Paper Dolls pattern book. I may even give some tips and tricks about sewing the figure as well. ; ) If you would like to purchase the entire book or just an individual PDF of one figure, you can purchase them here on Etsy or at your local quilt shop. If you shop doesn't carry it, ask them to get in touch with me. We sell wholesale as well.

In appreciation to all who are sewing along, we are offering two prizes:
  1. Cutest Figure
  2. Best Use of Mix and Match Templates
We are starting to gather up the prizes for these two special winners. I don't really want you to sew along just for the prizes, so I don't like to tell about them in the beginning. They will be very interesting though and worth the effort. We will pick the two winners in December after all figures have been introduced.

You can link up your figure for the week here at the bottom of the post. The link will be open for two weeks from the start date of the post. You can also post on Instagram. Make sure to tag me and use the hashtags: #enchantedsal #enchantedpaperdolls #eppaperdolls and/or #enchanted(figure name).

I would like to make a correction on the pattern booklet. After sending the pattern out to a few people, I was corrected on how I was classifying the pattern. I stated it was a "booklet" but it really is classified as a book if it has more than 49 pages. It doesn't matter if it is hardcover or softcover. I was reluctant to do this, because I didn't apply for and buy an ISBN number. So, I am officially calling this a "book" now.

With that information, I would like to tell you a little story. When I was in my twenties, I made a list of goals for my life, wrote them on a piece of paper and kept them in my passport wallet for safe keeping. Every now and then, I look at that piece of paper. There aren't a lot of goals on there, but this one is..."write a book and have it published." My husband had to remind me of my goal. And with that, I just self-published my own book, my first book! I am allowed to check off one of my life-long goals! What a great feeling.

Back to the sew along. Daphne is the fourth figure in our book. She is an angel or fairy, whatever you wish her to be. Since I wanted her wings to be be a solid fabric on the top portion of her wing, I decided to hack my own pattern. Take a look at the red arrows below. The first foundation paper template on the left shows the original drawing printed directly out from EQ8 - the software program I use to create FPP templates. The second template on the right is how I changed it. Actually, all you need to do is draw a pencil line and sew that portion as Step 1 in the sewing sequence. You can do this on all of the templates. You can skip over some lines especially when sewing hair extensions. I tried to include every possible scenario I could think of to help you decide what you wanted to incorporate into your design.


When I pieced certain segments, I also did a little bit of fussy cutting. Depending on what fabrics I use for wings and background, I may also change up the order of the piecing or change the lines on the papers as described above. To make sure the direction is the same on both papers, I try to lay them over the fabric and cut out a large patch that covers that area.

When making the feet and slippers on all of these figures, I prefer to omit the last sewing lines and just go for a slanted piece of fabric on both sides. It is one less step I have to worry about. However, this take a little practice. That's why I left it on most of the figures in the pattern BOOK.

Once again, this is theory without moving photos, so it may sound strange. When I want my next piece of fabric to keep it's direction, I cut out a square or rectangle, hold it up to the piece I want to attach it to, fold the patch over and crease matching with the previous piece. This will give me the angle in which my fabric patch should be cut.


I then cut either directly on that line or 1/4" away from that crease to remove the corner. This is what it looks like after it has been cut. Now you have your correct angle without a lot of hassle. Just line up the edge of fabric, right-sides-together and sew along the line drawn of the paper pattern. It should match up pretty well.


I do this for other pieces as well. Usually just start out with a square or rectangle piece of fabric cut like a normal patch. Sew it on and then trim back the 1/4" for the next piece of fabric.When foundation piecing, I trim up my fabrics BEFORE I sew on the next fabric. This way, I can use strips, square and rectangles of fabric that will always point in the same direction. It gives the overall look of the design nice symmetry.


And now for the beautiful Daphne. I find she is rather one of the easier figures in the collection with the exception of her crown. All of the figures have one element in them that makes them slightly challenging.


I have another confession to make. She has the same feet as Celeste but a different skin color. I accidentally sewed her feet on to Celeste. I noticed on the photo of Celeste after I posted it last Sunday. Needless to say, I carefully dismantled both ladies on Monday and swapped out their feet. Daphne has a slightly darker skin tone than Celeste.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Take a look at previous posts and see the other figures. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for dropping by and leaving comments! You really make my day! - Karen

Notice:
If you comment on my blog, your personal data such as IP-Address will be collected by Google. Find more information about this on my General Data Protection Page:

https://easypatchwork.blogspot.de/p/datenschutz.htm or that from Google.
___________________________

Hinweis:
Wenn du auf meinem Blog kommentierst, werden die von dir eingegebenen Formulardaten (und unter Umständen auch weitere personenbezogene Daten, wie z. B. deine IP-Adresse) an Google-Server übermittelt. Mehr Infos dazu findest du in meiner Datenschutzerklärung (https://easypatchwork.blogspot.de/p/datenschutz.html) und in der Datenschutzerklärung von Google.